Thursday, April 29, 2010

Decorate with "flowers"-- part one.

Unlike most people, I would think, I'm not really a big fan of real, fresh flowers. They are wonderful to get as a present, but for me that's because of the thought and generosity involved. They are also beautiful to look at and do make me happy, of course (I'm not a monster!). But then they die, and I forget to clean the vase, and then I have decomposed flower remains stuck to the bottom of it. And then I put that in the sink to soak, and forget about it, and then have wet decomposed flower remains and a scum ring on the sink . . .

As for use in decorating, they don't serve a purpose for me. You put a bunch of flowers out, and then they die, now you have a big empty spot! It makes more sense to put a more permanent flower-y decoration there. There are too many other things that don't die, and, more importantly, are more interesting than a bouquet of flowers. Decorating with flowers and plants is another opportunity to show creativity and a love of nature, and they can really enhance a space. So Part one is "let's talk vases," and part two is about what to put in those vases.

I'm guilty of it too-- someone sends me gift flowers, and I re-use the free, clear glass vase that came with them. It's easy and convenient. But really, this just broadcasts that my decorating skills extend as far as lazy and convenient. And that's not me, or you. Don't just look at vases and planters as a holder for the plants inside them. Vases should be pieces of art themselves, something to look at, something that enhances whatever is inside.

Secondly, don't restrict yourself to shopping for things labeled/marketed as "vases." Any receptacle works as a vase! Think outside the box: creamers, sugarers, statues, candle holders, bowls, glasses, teapots, etc. . . Just make sure that if you're going to put something in it requiring water that the receptacle is water-safe. The options are limitless if you don't need water (which is mostly what I decorate with. See part two.)

Here are some ideas:


Here's an example of a non-vase that would make a great vase, as it is technically a creamer. This is so clever, a glass version of the old-skool school milk cartons. I'd use this on a small nightstand or side table. Get it at FredFlare.



This vase is a piece of art in itself, exactly what you want. I love the simple, clean lines. This would look great anywhere. Find it at the MoMA Store.



This vase is fabulous-- it just crash-landed! Again, a piece of art itself, so you don't need to go crazy embellishing it with 2 tons of peonies. Keep it simple so both the "flowers" and the vase are highlighted. Buy this at Molla Space.

Cool, modern planters are harder to come by, and tend to be very expensive. Again, though, think outside the box and remember that most anything can be used. With planters, though, you're planting a big plant, and not using it for "flowers." So you have to be careful, because most plants require soil, and most soil needs drainage for the water.

Some other great places to find vases/vase alternatives are CB2, IKEA, and Jamali Garden (all three of these are also super cheap in addition to having great design). But remember to look everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment